Saturday 6 October 2012

Creamy Gammon and Vegetable Pie

I am determined to populate my recipe pages with more than just sweet things. I do cook proper meals, honest, it's just that I usually forget to photograph them in the whole cooking-eating thing. This is a new recipe for me and it comes from the Waitrose Weekend Paper from 20 September 2012.

_______________________________________________________
Recipe (my notes)

Serves 4 (or 3 hungry adults), Ready in 25 mins, Cost (if you shop at Waitrose and buy everything, £5.04. I shop at Asda and already some ingredients so have no idea what it cost).

Ingredients
800g potatoes cut into chunks
1tbspn vegetable oil
250g smoked gammon steak cut into 1cm dice
500g frozen mixed veg, defrosted
350g cheese sauce (I made my own - butter and flour to make a roux, milk, stir while thickening, handful of grated cheddar and a teaspoon of English or Dijon mustard)
1 tsp English mustard (mine was already in the sauce, I used Dijon because this is what I had)
25g butter
50ml milk
50g grated mild cheddar

Method
1. Cook potatoes and make mash with butter and milk, or however you normally make them.
2. Meanwhile, heat oil in frying pan and cook gammon 4-5 mins. Add mixed veg and fry for further 4-5 mins. Stir in cheese cause and mustard and heat further 2-3 mins. Put in ovenproof dish.
3. Spoon mashed potato on top (a chef taught me you get much better mash if you do it while the potatoes are still hot). Sprinkle with cheese and put under grill for 5 mins or until golden.

_______________________________________________________

And there you have it. It was really tasty and quite nice for a horribly wet and windy October night. I might try it as a pot pie next time, with a pastry top, because DH is not the biggest mashed potato fan in the world and it would be a little bit lighter. 

I can't find a picture from Waitrose to show you, but here is mine and it looks just as nice even if the presentation is not as good. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment