Saturday 28 September 2013

Oven Baked Crisp Coated Chicken Schnitzel

                                      

I'm lucky enough to be taking part in the Bzz campaign for Walkers Mighty Lights and was sent a box of free crisps. You can imagine how excited my kids were about this and they scoffed the lot before I had a chance to try them myself. They're being marketed to parents as a healthier crisp snack for children, being 30% lower in fat with no MSG, artificial colours or preservatives. The suggestion was that we include them as a healthier alternative in lunchboxes. I haven't done this for two reasons: crisps are not allowed in packed lunches by the school; and crisps are a treat rather than an everyday item. Instead, I got hold of more crisps, hid them from the kids, and used them to remake chicken schnitzel, which is one of our favourite dinners.

flour, egg, crushed crisp production line ready to go

 I normally make chicken schnitzel by flattening chicken breasts before dipping them in flour, egg, and breadcrumbs seasoned with salt, pepper and garlic granules (egging and crumbing twice for a good coating). They get shallow fried then finished off in the oven. Yum. Sticking with the healthier option I decided to try oven baking this time, hoping that the oil in the crushed crisps would give a good finish.

Straight out of the oven, golden and crispy

The end product (before gravy) served with cous cous and spinach
The verdict was that they were just as enjoyable as normal. I liked that I didn't have to clean up a fry pan full of oil and that the house didn't have that "fry" smell. If I do it again I will crush the crisps up more finely to get a more even coating.


Disclaimer: I was given the crisps (and vouchers for more crisps) for free, but the recipe and opinions are entirely my own. Well, mine and my family's, but you know what I mean.


No comments:

Post a Comment