Saturday 24 May 2014

Summer Holiday Activities for Kids


I know, I know - it's still 7 weeks until the kids break up for summer (count 'em, 7!) but I am already preparing for them. My boys are almost 12 and 6 and, as I have bemoaned many times before, will happily play play on screens for 12 or 14 hours if given the opportunity, stopping only to use the toilet, snack, and argue with each other. I can't blame them. I would have done the same if I had the option of more than a mere four telly channels and Pong.

 

I do this sort of list every year. The aim is not to get  through all the activities, but to take the hassle of out finding something fun to do under pressure. Some of these can be done anywhere, while others are child friendly activities and family days out in South East Wales, where I live. I will be adding to this list so please let me know if you have any suggestions and, if you've got a similar list for your area, add a link to your blog post at the bottom.

Everything on this list is either something I have done, or which I genuinely would do. I've not simply generated a list of random places.

Free Places to Go in SE Wales
Blaenavon Big Pit
National Museum Cardiff - I Spy Nature, Art Collection, WWI
St Fagan's
Caerleon Roman Museum, baths, and amphitheatre 
Cardiff Bay - parks, walk, cycle, scoot
National Trust: Tredegar House grounds, Duffryn Gardens
Walk up the Sugarloaf
Walk up the Skirrid
BMX track in Blaenavon
Ride along Newport - Brecon canal path
Welsh Proms free daytime concerts in July
Explore castle ruins at Abergavenny, Skenfrith, Crickhowell
Bedwellty House and Park in Tredegar
Porthcawl Beaches

Skenfrith Castle

Cheap Things to Do in SE Wales
Super Tubing at Festival Park in Ebbw Vale. £5 for 5 rides. Accepts Tesco vouchers and sometimes has Groupon deals.
Boat trip in Cardiff Bay
Cwmcarn Forest Drive £5 per car. It's closing in November so get in while you can.
Car boot sales are great for browsing and picking up cheap toys/games/books




Other Things to Do
Geocaching
Rearranging bedrooms - surprisingly satisfying and fun
Techniquest

Techniquest in Cardiff Bay

Ways to Spend Less and Still Have Fun
Orange Wednesday, cheap Tuesdays at Vue, or choose daytime sessions
Voucher Cloud - have downloaded this but still not used it
Exchange Tesco vouchers
Vouchers on cinema receipts (currently ours has 20% off at Harvester on them)
Kids AM sessions at the cinema - £1.75 at Vue, or £3 for a 3D film. Cineworld's prices are cheaper, at £1.50, or £1.25 if you book in advance with MyCineworld.





No comments:

Post a Comment